New In-Season Vote! Greatest Wycombe League Goal! Nominations Open!

Hey all,

Having missed the usual summer tournament, and things a bit slow, I thought it would be fun to have an in-season tournament for greatest Wycombe League goal. As I suspect the massive favourite to win any overall Greatest Goal would be Dave Carroll, the initial tournament will be for league goals only in the interest of some unpredictability, and then when we have a winner, I will take nominations for cup goals and have a final vote for greatest overall goal. However, if enough people shout this idea down in the comments and prefer to go straight to a Greatest Goal tournament without the bifurcation, fair enough!

This is going to work on a nomination basis. To nominate a goal to be included in the competition, you must include a video link, to save me digging around for 100-odd YouTube clips.

P.S. - next summer will be greatest Wycombe home shirt since the quarters came back.

6 Likes

Russell Martin v Macclesfield and Ian Stonebridge v Plymouth?

1 Like

Datchet Webb vs Wycombe Wild West. Cant find it on YouTube sorry.

Greatest is different to best?

In person, I recall being totally overjoyed with Emblem vs Wigan, Essandoh vs Leicester, Easter vs Chelsea.

On best, its cant remember, but a quick search finds this

https://share.google/4xGHGjOB8WZRiY5XZ

EmbleN

Of course!

Not a name ive overly thought of much. I saw the mention of Michael Mahoney Johnson on twitter recently a name ive thought of even less.

Greatest goal could mean anything, could be Simon Hutchinsons to clinch promotion to the football, Sam Woods against Torquay, Paul Emblem against Lincoln City, the goals against Poxford to clinch promotion to the championship, not including all the other big goals in big matches.

EmbleN

1 Like

Martin”s was the one I immediately thought of - about 3:30 in this clip here.

I agree conflicted on the greatest vs best thought, as despite the comeback we ended up losing the game.

Steve Brown against Col u

5 Likes

Guess some people have never heard of predicted text, and how it changes at the last minute. Maybe they need to just chill about stupid things.

1 Like

Dave Carroll v Preston at Wembley 1994 (both goals).

2 Likes

I’d nominate whichever goal it was (someone shared the link a few days ago) away to Lincoln near the end of Bloomfields ‘purple patch’.

It was a brilliantly competitive game between two really good teams and the goal itself was sumptuous. A thrilling mixture of swift accurate passes that tore the Lincoln defence to shreds with a calm finish at the end. Absolutely beautiful.

A peak team goal at a time of a peak all-time Wycombe team.

(Apologies I am rubbish at being able to find and share clips)

5 Likes

Rhino Vs Liverpool, Sadly I miss out on seen this match Live and I also missed out on getting the Liverpool Vs Wycombe scarf in the recent auction, fell asleep on the sofa and got out bidded :frowning: This video may have a few others fav.

Matt Brady v Preston

Most memorable goal I saw in person was Jermain McSporran v Lincoln 1998.

Not an important game or pivotal moment though.

0:40 into the clip below (Brownie’s goal at the start is also pretty good!)

1 Like

Steve brown v Col Utd. If it’s an away team goal, Dean Windass.

1 Like

If play offs count as league games then Dave Carroll’s first goal v Preston is the greatest goal ever scored by Wycombe Wanderers in any competition

3 Likes

As people have mentioned, what is ‘greatest’? For me, it was how I felt.

McCarthy equaliser at the dying embers of extra time in the FA Cup 4th round against Wimbledon in 2001. It wasn’t a ‘great’ goal, far from it but it was the wider context and the emotions I felt that day and that game. It was magical. And it was my first Wycombe away game.

2 Likes

This one. Also gets my vote, it’s jaw-droppingly good football.

https://x.com/wycombemexico/status/1860368420161659269

1 Like